How to Select the Construction Estimating Software: Top Tips for 2021
Automatically generating estimations in the construction industry sector is a new normal in the 21st century. Hand-written calculations and manually undertaken measurements are the outdated approaches replaced with the more modern ones by many building companies.
The special-purpose software for construction estimators is used to count for quicker processing and more accurate reporting. Today’s market of digital solutions is notable for its overchoice of programs and online tools. So, how to choose the best-matching construction cost estimating software in the context of the building projects? Let’s dive into the matter together.
The Main Criteria for the Selection of the Construction Estimating Software
To start with, it is necessary to pick sides with the core business objectives of the building company. Some contractors would like to speed up the estimating process with the help of this software. Other companies would like to do away with the possible human-factor mistakes. There is a category of construction market players that is interested in the improvements of the bidding process and the tender performance.
Almost all the possible challenges like estimating errors, slow calculations, and inaccurate bidding background can be solved through the implementation of digital solutions that meet the business objectives of the company:
- It is irrelevant to opt for the estimating and bidding software with limited functionality if you have a giant corporation with the potential for fast scaling-up.
- A too powerful estimating tool with an enhanced range of options at the high price will be useless for small-size contractors that perform only 1-2 construction projects at once (limited human resources and budgets).
- Such options as schematic design-based calculations and multi-level forecasting costs should be available in the software for construction companies of any size. These are essential functions to take into consideration.
It is worth noting that nowadays estimating software providers offer rather cross-functional tools that combine both forecasting and bidding options. It is convenient to gather measurements and estimation reports that are required for the bidding profile generation. The more logical and comprehensive is the estimating process in the program; the more accurate and comfortable the performance is expected.
The Best-Matching Estimating Software: Helpful Recommendations in 2021
Remember that the market for digital solutions is ever-changing. Your task is to monitor all the entries and analyze the novelties in the context of the updated functions that can come in handy for your company. For example, machine learning and AI technologies became available for estimators not long ago. But now these tech solutions are well-known as the most powerful for accurate estimations.
The same story about the functionality of the software. In 2014, the first estimating tools appeared. They obtained a limited range of options. The difference between today’s estimating and bidding performance of similar software variants is giant. Now, it is possible to opt for automatically done:
- Initial estimations (based on the architect’s drafts and plans);
- Risk assessments and cost forecasts;
- Final estimations (98-99% of accuracy);
- Budget planning options, reporting;
- Bidding and quotation functions.
To select the best-matching software, it is not enough to keep track of the software market and pick sides with the bidding objectives. Here is a list of recommendations for your right choice:
- Rule with the VVP (value-versus-price) method. Do not expect that too cheap pricing plans will give you access to the full set of estimating options.
- Select systems that are easy to maintain and implement. The faster the onboarding process is, the better.
- Choose software that can be simply integrated into your digital environment (databases, CRMs, etc.).
- Explore software with free trials to understand if the tech solutions meet your expectations and business needs.
Always ask your estimators and project managers about the level of convenience and the accuracy stats. These specialists are going to use this software every day. That is why their opinion concerning the program will be the most objective.